You are eligible for VA financing if your service falls within any of the following categories:

Active Duty Service Personnel If you are now on active duty, eligibility can be established after having served on continuous active duty for at least 90 days. Upon discharge or release from active duty, eligibility must be reestablished.

Members of the Selected Reserve Individuals who are not otherwise eligible and who have completed at least 6 years in the Reserves or National Guard, or been discharged because of a service-connected disability, and

· have been discharged with an honorable discharge, or

· have been placed on the retired list, or

· have been transferred to an element of the Ready reserve other than the Selected Reserve, or

· Continue to serve in the Selected Reserve are eligible for a GI loan.

Wartime Service If you served any time during:

· World War II (September 16, 1940 to July 25, 1947),

· Korean Conflict (June 27, 1950 to January 31, 1955),

· Vietnam Era (August 5, 1964 to May 7, 1975), the Vietnam Era begins February 28, 1961 for individuals who served in the Republic of Vietnam.

· Persian Gulf War (August 2, 1990 to present (requires service for 2 years or the full period for which called to active duty, except that exceptions applying to service between September 7, 1980 and August 1, 1990 also apply to Persian Gulf War).)

See below.

You must have served at least 90 days on active duty and been discharged or released under other than dishonorable conditions. If you served less than 90 days, you may be eligible if discharged because of a service-connected disability.

Peacetime Service If your service fell entirely within any one of the following periods:

· July 26, 1947 to June 26, 1950,

· February 1, 1955 to August 4, 1964, or

· May 8, 1975 to September 7, 1980 (if enlisted) or to October 16, 1981 (if officer, you must have served at least 181 days of continuous active duty and been discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable). If you served less than 181 days, you may be eligible if discharged because of a service-connected disability.

Service between September 7, 1980 (enlisted) or October 16, 1981 (officer) and

August 1, 1990.

If your entire period of service was between September 7, 1980 (October 16, 1981) and

August 1, 1990, you must have:

· Completed 24 months of continuous active duty or the full period (at least 181 days) for which you were called or ordered to active duty, and been discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.

· You may also be determined eligible if you were discharged for a service-connected disability, or you were discharged for the convenience of the Government after completing at least 20 months of a 2-year enlistment, or you completed 181 days of active duty and:

· were discharged because of a hardship, or

· were determined to have a service-connected compensable disability, or

· were discharged or released from active duty for a medical condition which preexisted service and has not been determined to be service-connected, or

· I f the certificate cannot be issued by ACE, you can request it from VA, by completing VA Form 26-1880, “Request for A Certificate of Eligibility.” The form should be submitted along with either

o received an involuntary discharge or release from active duty for the convenience of the

· Government as a result of a reduction in force, or

· were discharged or released from active duty for a physical or mental condition not

characterized as a disability and not the result of misconduct, but which did interfere with your performance of duty.

NOTE: During the Persian Gulf War, the foregoing exceptions to the 2-year requirement apply, except that 90 days of active duty is sufficient in lieu of 181 days.

Other Types of Service

· Certain United States citizens who served in the armed forces of a government allied with the United States in World War II.

· Unmarried surviving spouses of the above-described eligible persons who died as the result of service or service-connected injuries (Children of deceased veterans are not eligible). NOTE: Also, a surviving spouse who remarried on or after attaining age 57, and on or after December 16, 2003, may be eligible for the home loan benefit.

· The spouse of any member of the Armed Forces serving on active duty who is listed as missing in action, or is a prisoner of war and has been so listed for a total of more than 90 days.

· Individuals with service as members in certain other organizations, services, programs and schools may also be eligible. Questions about whether this service qualifies for home loan benefits should be referred to your VA Regional Loan Center.

Looking to Buy?

Are you looking to refinance or buy a house? Or just have a general question? Let us help you. Fill out as much of the information below that you feel comfortable with and we'll get right back to you, with no obligation to you. We guarantee your privacy; your information will not be shared.

Title of this group of fields
By checking the box, you agree that Affinity Mortgage Brokers may call/text you about your inquiry, which may involve use of automated means and prerecorded/artificial voices.. Message/data rates may apply.

English French German Portuguese Spanish